Though they look like meat in the photograph, these wings are 100% vegan! Whether you’re eating a vegan diet or not, you’ll love these seitan wings. My meat-eating husband was obsessed with these and ate them up!!
1 cup vital wheat gluten
2 tbsp yeast
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3 cups flour
3 tbsp flax seed meal
9 tbsp water
Jar of sauce of your choice! (This is not cheating! You can also make any sauce you like!)
Oil (For deep frying)
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Mix the vital wheat gluten, yeast and only 3/4 cups vegetable broth.
3) Need together.
4) Break apart in teeny-tiny pieces. These will be your “wings”
** Okay, when I say teeny-tiny, I mean roughly the size of 1 or 2 grapes. The first time I made these, I made them the size that I wanted the finished wings to be, but I didn’t realize they would triple in size! If you end up making them too big, it’s no big deal though, as once you take them out of the oven, you can just break them into smaller pieces. That’s what I’ve done and it works out just fine!
5) Put them in a pan that has sides. Pour the rest of the vegetable broth over them.
6) Cook for 45 mins.
7) Flip over (they might be sticking together, and that’s okay)
8) Cook for 20 more minutes.
9) Cool them off and break into the pieces you want.
10) While they’re cooling, mix the water and flax seed meal.
11) Add the flax seed meal to the jar of sauce you’ll be using. I used a 350 ml jar of honey garlic sauce. 350ml with the flax mixture is a good ratio. The first time I made these, I used buffalo wing sauce, but it was too spicy for me!
12) Put flour into a big bowl.
13) Now, cover your wings in the sauce!
14) Put the saucy wings into the flour. Thoroughly cover the wings!!
15) Deep fry for about 5 minutes, or until dark golden brown.
16) Put on paper towel.
17) Toss in the sauce again and VOILÀ!!! You have just made the most delicious chicken wings ever!!
18) Let me know how it went!! Please leave a comment if you have anything to share, questions or tips!
Enjoy and be kind!